1. ZN 9531 is a 55 clone synthetic cultivar. Parent clones trace to 37 populations selected for resistance to the following pests: bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Verticillium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, anthracnose (race 1) and Aphanomyces (race 1) plus two additional isolates. Phenotypic recurrent selection was used. Final selections were made from two-year old space plant selection nurseries near Livingston and Marshfield, Wisconsin and Napier, Iowa based on yield, winter survival, degree of leafhopper yellowing and stunting, freedom from leaf diseases, fall dormancy reaction and stem protein and digestibility. Parentage traces to ABI 92PSL (10%), Bounty, Winterstar, Defiant, Green Field, Empire, 620, Innovator +z, and Complete (8% each)1 ABI 9221, ABI 9134, ABI 9125 and ABI 9111 (5% each) and 6% from numerous other sources. Estimated % germplasm sources contributing to the genetic constitution of this variety. M. falcata, Ladak M. varia Turkistan Flemish Chilean 8 6 22 17 30 7 Peruvian Indian African Arabian Unknown 7 0 0 0 3
2. ZN9531 appears to be adapted to and is intended for use in the North Central Region of the U. S. . It has been tested in Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois and Minnesota.
3. Fail dormancy of ZN 9531 is similar to Ranger. Flower color of Syn 2 generation is approximately 70% purple and 29/. variegated with a trace of cream, white and yellow. Winter survival is similar to Vernal.
4. ZN 9531 has high resistance to bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Verticillium wilt, anthracnose (race 1), Phytophthora root rot and Aphanomyces (race 1) and moderate resistance to pea aphid. It has not been tested for reaction to blue alfalfa aphid, spotted alfalfa aphid, stem nematode and root knot nematode.
5. Seed increase is limited to one generation each of breeder (Syn 1), foundation (Syn 2) and certified (Syn 3) seed classes. Certified seed may be produced from either breeder or foundation classes. A 2,3 and 6 year stand life is permitted on fields producing breeder, foundation and certified seed classes respectively. Foundation seed production is limited to the Pacific Northwest. Breeder seed was produced in 1995. ABI will maintain sufficient seed stocks for the life of the variety.
6. Certified seed will be available in 1998
7. Plant Variety Protection will not be applied for.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: Date Submitted November 1997