1. Target II Plus is a 16 clone synthetic variety. Parent clones were selected out of forage yield plots and/or disease nurseries. These parent plants were progeny tested for one or more of the following traits: forage yield, stand persistence, forage quality, resistance to bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, anthracnose (Racel), Verticillium wilt, Aphanomyces root rot (Racel), and spotted alfalfa aphid. Parent plants trace back to Apollo, Tempo, Thor, Answer, Apollo Supreme, Teweles Multistrain, and Dairyland Experimentals which trace back to Vernal, Ranger and Iroquois. Percentage of germplasm sources are: M. varia (25), Turkistan (40), and Flemish (35).
2. Target II Plus is adapted to the North Central and Great Plains regions of the United States. It is intended for use in the Central and Northern half of the United States. The states in which it has been tested are: Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas.
3. Target II Plus is similar to Ranger in fall dormancy. It expresses high forage quality similar to the high forage quality check variety. Flower color in the Syn. 2 generation is 92% purple, 8% variegated, and trace amounts of cream, white, and yellow.
4. Target II Plus has high resistance to Phytophthora root rot, bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, resistance to anthracnose (Racel), Verticillium wilt, pea aphid, stem nematode, moderate resistance to Aphanomyces root rot (Racel), blue alfalfa aphid, spotted alfalfa aphid, and northern root-knot nematode.
S. Breeder seed was produced from cuttings of the parent plants planted in cage isolation to produce Syn. 1 at Sloughhouse, CA in 1990-92. Seed was bulked in equal proportions each year and lots were kept separate. Foundation seed (Syn. 2) was produced from Breeder seed and Certified seed (Syn. 2 or 3) from either Breeder or Foundation seed. One generation each of Breeder and Foundation, and two generations of Certified seed classes are recognized. A maximum of three years each is permitted on stands producing Breeder and Foundation seed with five years for Certified seed. Sufficient Breeder seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Dairyland Research.
6. Certified seed will be available spring of 1996.
7. Application for Plant Variety Protection is anticipated.
8. Information in the NAVRB application can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety name: Target II Plus Date submitted: 11/27/95 Experimental designation: BPR365
Date NA&ML'RRB first accepted this variety: January. 1996
Date previous amendments were accepted:
Date this amendment submitted: November 25. 1997