1. FG 8T1094 is a synthetic variety with 191 parent plants. Parent plants were selected for late fall growth and resistance to the following pests: Phytophthora root rot, Verticillium wilt, spotted alfalfa aphid, blue alfalfa aphid. Germplasm sources used in developing FG 8T1094 were DK189 (48%), Beacon (23%), Sundor (11%) and Tahoe (1 8%). Breeder seed (Syn 1) was produced near Nampa, Idaho in 1993. Seed was harvested in total on all parents and bulked to form breeder seed. Approximate germplasm source contributions are: M. varia (4%), Turkistan (12%), Flemish (1%), Chilean (5%), Peruvian (1%), Indian (20%), African (50%) and unknown (7%).

2. This variety is adapted to the Southwest and Moderately Winterhardy Intermountain areas of the U. S. . This variety has been tested in Idaho and California It will be used in California.

3. This variety has fall dormancy similar to FD 8 checks. Flower color (Syn2) is 100% purple.

4. This variety has high resistance to anthracnose (Race I), Fusarium wilt, spotted alfalfa aphid and blue alfalfa aphid; resistance to Phytophthora root rot, pea aphid, stem nematode and root knot nematode (M. hapla); and moderate resistance to Verticillium wilt. Reaction to Aphanomyces root rot and bacterial wilt has not been tested.

5. Seed increase is on a limited generation basis with one generation of breeder and two generations of foundation and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn I), foundation (Syn 2 or Syn 3), and certified (Syn 3 or Syn 4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn 3 foundation seed requires consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced near Nampa, Idaho in 1993. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Forage Genetics. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.

6. Certified seed will be marketed in 1998.

7. No decision has been made concerning Plant Variety Protection Act.

8. The information in this application may be forwarded to the PVP office.

9. Variety Name: Date Submitted 11/1/97 Experimental designations: FG 8T1094: YS 8T1094

Previous Page