1. ABI 9293 is a synthetic variety with 200 parent clones. Parent clones trace to two populations selected for resistance to Verticillium wilt, anthracnose (Race 1), spotted alfalfa aphid, blue alfalfa aphid,and pea aphid. Phenotypic recurrent selection was used. Final selections were made from a space-plant nursery near Kingsburg, California. Parentage traces to UC 226(95%) and CUF 101 (5%). Approximate germplasm source contributes are: M. falcata (2%), Ladak (1%), b& varia (1%), Turkistan (10%), Flemish (1%), Chilean (10%), Peruvian (1%), Indian (14%), African (60%). Breeder seed (Syn 1) was Produced under field isolation near Nampa, Idaho in 1992. -
2. ABI 9293 is intended for use in central and southern California, and the lower elevations of Arizona and New Mexico. This variety has been tested in California&
3. Fall dormancy is similar to CUF 101. Flower color in Syn 2 is approximately 99% purple with less than 1% each of variegate& cream, white and yellow.
4. ABI 9293 has high resistance to Fusarium Wilt, resistance to Phytophthora Root Rot, Spotted alfalfa Aphid, Blue Alfalfa Aphid and Southern Root Knot Nematode; moderate resistance to Pea Aphid, and Stem Nematode; low resistance to Verticillium Wilt.
5. Seed increase is limited to one generation each of breeder (Syn 1), foundation (Syn 2) and certified (Syn 3) seed classes. Certified seed may be produced from either breeder or foundation classes. A 1,3 an 5 year stand life is permitted on fields producing breeder, foundation and certified classes, respectively. Foundation seed production, outside the area of adaptation is limited to single-season production (non-overwintering). Second year of production may be allowed with inspection and approval by breeder prior to second year production. Breeder seed was produced in 1992. ABI will maintain sufficient stocks for the projected life of the variety.
6. Certified seed will be available in 1998
7. Plant variety protection will not be applied for.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: Date submitted November 19. 1997
Experimental Designations: ABI9293, ZX9293