1. 58NS8 is a synthetic variety of 175 parental plants tracing to seven (7) half-sib progeny lines. The lines were selected based on polycross (half-sib) progeny tests for relative feed value (RFV) and forage yield. The original seven female parents were selected for anthracnose (race 1) or Phytophthora from six different germplasm: MNPD-1, Pierce and four (4) Pioneer experimental lines. 58N58 traces to MNPD-1 (14%), Pierce (14%), CUF101 (12%), BAA-20 (5%), UCPX (5%), UC Cargo (4%), Moapa 69 (3%), WL512 (3%), WL318 (3%), UC Salton (3%), FO285 (3%), WL600 (2%), Matador (2%), Lahontan (1%), Apollo (1%) with 25% contributions from Nevada SynXX, Condura 73, El Camino, N71, Sonora, Bonanza, Moapa, Caliverde, SW44, El Unico, Sirsa, Anchor, Citation, Vernal, Titan, Weevlchek , Nugget, Temp, Kanza, Aphidor. Germplasm sources are approximately: Medicago falcata (1.8%), Ladak (1.8%), M. varia (2.2%), Turkistan (7.4%), Flemish (0.9%), Chilean (4.3%), Peruvian (1.2%), Indian (5.1%), African (28.3%) and unknown (47.0%).
2. 58N58 is intended for use in South America. It has been tested for yield in Argentina.
3. 58N58 is a nondormant cultivar with a fall dormancy similar to Moapa 69. Flower color of the Syn 2 generation is 91% purple, 9% variegated with traces of cream, yellow and white.
4. 58NS8 has high resistance to Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, pea aphid, blue aphid, northern root knot nematode; resistance to anthracnose (race 1), and spotted alfalfa aphid; low resistance to stem nematode, and bacterial wilt; and susceptible to Verticillium wilt. 58N58 has not been tested for resistance to southern root knot nematode.
5. Breeders seed (Syn 1) was produced in 1993 on parent plants in "cage isolation" and bulked. Seed classes will be breeder, foundation (Syn 2 or Syn 3) and certified (Syn 2, Syn 3, or Syn 4). Foundation seed may be produced from breeder or foundation. The second generation foundation (Syn 3) may be produced at the discretion of Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc. Limitations on age of stand will be one, three, and five years respectively for breeder, foundation seed and certified seed. Breeder seed must be produced in California. Sufficient breeder and/or foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc.
6. Certified seed will be marketed in 1998 in Argentina.
7. Application for Plant Variety Protection will be made, and the certification option will not be requested.
8. As a means of added varietal protection, information included with the application for Review of Alfalfa Varieties for Certification may be provided to the PVP office.
9. Variety name: 58N58 Date submitted: November 26, l997.
10. Experimental designations: X58N58, Y58N58.