1. WL 327 is a 200-plant synthetic variety resulting from phenotypic recurrent selection for high forage quality. Parental germplasm, traces to ABT 350, Rushmore, WL 232 HQ and WL 252 HQ. Approximate germplasm source contributions are M. falcata (16%), Ladak (14%), M. varia (21%), Turkistan (13%), and Flemish (36%).
2. WL 327 is adapted for use in the north central and east central regions of the United States. It is intended for use in the north central, east central and Great Plains regions. WL 327 has been yield tested in Illinois, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.
3. Flower color of WL 327 at syn2 approximates 100% purple with a trace of variegated and white. The fall dormancy of WL 327 is similar to Legend (Class 4).
4. SW 327 has high resistance to anthracnose (race 1, bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot (race 1) and blue alfalfa aphid; resistance to Verticillium wilt, stem nematode, pea aphid and spotted alfalfa aphid. Reaction to root knot nematode has not been adequately tested. Phytophthora root rot, and resistance to Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), Aphanomyces root rot (race 2), stem nematode and pea aphid. Reaction to root knot nematode has not been adequately tested.
5. Breeder seed (syn1) was produced in 1996 on 200 plants under cage isolation at Bakersfield, California. Sufficient foundation (syn2) seed will be produced for the expected life of the variety and will be maintained by W-L Research. One generation of breeder (syn1) and two generations each of foundation (syn2 or 3) and certified (syn3 or 4) seed are recognized. The maximum permitted length of stand for foundation and certified seed fields are three and five years, respectively. Foundation seed must be produced above 40 degrees North latitude. Production of syn3 foundation seed requires consent of the breeder.
6. Certified seed will be marketed in 1999.
7. It is undecided whether application will be made for Plant Variety Protection.
8. The information in this application can be turned over to the PVP office.
9. Variety name: WL 327
Experimental designation: C304
Date first accepted: . January 1991
Date This amendment submitted: November 1999