1 Selection criteria for plants included plant vigor, plant height, largecrowns, healthy roots andresistance tosouthern root knot nematode (M. incognita).
2. SW 9628 is adapted to areas inthe southern San Joaquin valley and imperial Valley ofCalifornia and to the hot areas of Arizona where very non-dormant varietiesare grown. Theseare the areas of intendeduse and locations of yield tests.
3. Fall dormancy of SW 9628 is 9,similar to the FD 9 check variety CUF 101. Flower color is 981/2% purple, 1% variegated and 1/2% white in the syn3 generation.
4. SW 9628 is highly resistant tosouthern root knot nematode (M. incognita) and spotted alfalfaaphid, resistant topea aphid, blue alfalfa aphid, Fusarium wilt and Phytophthora root rot; andhas low resistance to bacterial wilt and Anthracnose (race 1). SW 9628 wasnot tested forresistance to Verticilliumwilt, stem nematode or Aphanomyces root rot (race 1).
5. Breeders seed was produced in 1996. S&W Seed Company will maintainseed stocks of thisvariety. Under certification the classes of seed willbe breeder, foundation and certified.Foundation seed will be produced frombreeder seed and/or foundation seed. Foundation seedwill be used to producecertified seed. Length of stand life allowed for foundation and certifiedseed is four and six years respectively.
6. Certified seed will be availablefor sale in the fall of 2000.
7. Application will not be made forPlant Variety Protection.
8. This information may be sent tothe PVP office.
9. Variety name: SW 9628
Date submitted: November 1, 1999
Experimental designations: SW 9628,SW 9800