1. Prolific is a 50 clone synthetic variety. Parent plants were selectedout of forage yield plotsnear Marshfield, Wisconsin. These parent plantswere selected for resistance to Phytophthoraroot rot, Aphanomyces root rot;crowns free of crown rot and expression of branch roots.Germplasm sourcesare: Ladak (5%), M. varia (20%), Turkistan (15%), Flemish (40%), Chilean(2%),and unknown (18%).
2. Prolific is adapted to and intended for use in the north central, GreatPlains and east centralregions of the United States. The states where ithas been tested are Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska,and Wisconsin.
3. Prolific is a dormant variety similar to the fall dormancy 3 check.Flower color in the syn2generation is 90% purple, 10% variegated with traceamounts of cream, white and yellow.
4. Prolific has high resistance to bacterial wilt, Fusarium. wilt Phytophthoraroot rot and northernroot-knot nematode; resistance to Aphanomyces root rot(race 1), pea aphid, stem nematode,Verticillium wilt and anthracnose (race1). It has not been tested for spotted alfalfa aphid andblue alfalfa aphid.
5. Breeder seed (syn1) was produced from bulking seed of parent hand pollinatedin agreenhouse near Clinton, Wisconsin, in 1993. Foundation seed (syn2) wasproduced frombreeder seed and certified seed (syn3) from foundation seed.One generation each of breeder, foundation and certified seed classes arerecognized. A maximum of three years each ispermitted on stands producingbreeder and foundation seed with five years for certified seed. Sufficientbreeder seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained byDairylandResearch International.
6. Certified Seed was available fall of 1999.
7. Application for the Plant Variety Protection is undecided.
8. Information in this application can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety name: Prolific
Date Submitted November 29, 1999
Experimental designations: BPR377