1. Platinum is a 220-plant synthetic variety resulting from phenotypic recurrent selection for high forage quality using near infrared reflectance spectroscopy. Parental germplasm traces to Multiplier, ALPHA 2001, WL 252 HQ and WL 322 HQ Approximate germplasm source contributions are M. falcata (15%), Ladak (10%), M. varia (25%), Turkistan (21 %), Flemish (26%), and Chilean (3%).
2. Platinum is adapted for use in the north central, east central and moderately winter hardy intermountain regions of the United States. Platinum has been yield tested in Pennsylvania, Washington, and Wisconsin.
3. Flower color of Platinum at syn2 approximates 100% purple with a trace of variegated and cream. The fall dormancy of Platinum is similar to Legend (Class 4).
4. Platinum has high resistance to anthracnose (race 1), bacterial wilt, Fusarium. wilt, Verticillium. wilt, pea aphid, Phytophthora root rot, Aphanomyces root rot (race 1) and Aphanomyces root rot (race 2); and resistance to stem nematode. Reaction to spotted alfalfa aphid, blue alfalfa aphid and root knot nematode has not been adequately tested.
5. Breeder seed (syn1) was produced in 1996 on 220 plants under cage isolation at Bakersfield, California. Sufficient foundation (syn2) seed will be produced for the expected life of the variety and will be maintained by W-L Research. One generation of breeder (syn1) and two generations each of foundation (syn2 or 3) and certified (syn3 or 4) seed are recognized. The maximum permitted length of stand for foundation and certified seed fields are three and five years, respectively. Foundation seed must be produced above 40 degrees North latitude. Production of syn3 foundation seed requires consent of the breeder.
6. Certified seed will be marketed in 1999.
7. It is undecided whether application will be made for Plant Variety Protection.
8. The information in this application can be turned over to the PVP office.
9. Variety name: Platinum
Experimental designation: C310
Date first accepted: January 1999
Date this amendment submitted: November 1999