1. Lexus was selected for resistance to bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt,Verticillium. wilt,Phytophthora root rot, anthracnose (race 1), and Aphanomyces(race 1). Phenotypic recurrentselection was used. Final selections were madeon the basis of yield, winter survival, leafhopperyellowing, leaf diseasereaction, and fall dormancy reaction
2. Lexus appears to be adapted to the north central and east central regionsof the U.S. It isintended for use in the north central and east central regionsof the U.S. It has been tested inIowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin
3. Lexus is similar to the FD 3 check Ranger in fall dormancy. Flowercolor is approximately66% purple and 34% variegated with a trace of white,cream and yellow.
4. Lexus has high resistance to Bacterial wilt, Verticillium wilt, Fusariumwilt, anthracnose (race 1), Phytophthora root rot, Aphanomyces root rot (race1) and moderate resistance to peaaphid. It has not been tested for reactionto stem nematode, spotted alfalfa aphid, blue alfalfaaphid and root knotnematode.
5. Seed increase is limited to one generation each of breeder (syn1),foundation (syn2) andcertified (syn.3) seed classes. Certified seed may beproduced from either breeder or foundationclasses. A one, three and six yearstand life is permitted on fields producing breeder, foundationand certifiedseed classes respectively. Foundation seed production is limited to the PacificNorthwest. Breeder seed was produced in 1995. ABI will maintain sufficientseed stocks for thelife of the variety.
6. Certified seed will be available in 2000.
7. Application will not be made for Plant Variety Protection.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety name: Lexus
Date submitted: November 1999
Experimental designations: ZC 9525