1. Fiesta is a synthetic variety with 80 parent;l n%Puar nt clonal plantswere selected forpersistence from foragetrials, late fall dormancy, multifoliolate expression and resistance to oneor more of the following pests: Phytophthora root rot, Verticillium.wilt, blue alfalfa aphid andspotted alfalfaaphid. Germplasm sources use in developing Fiesta were Tulare (50%) and DK 180ML (50%). Breeder seed (syn1) produced near Nampa, Idaho,in 1995. Seed was harvested intotal onall parents aid bulked to form breeder seed. Approximate germplasm sourcecontributions are: M. falcata (1%), Ladak (2%), M. varia (5%), Turkistan(15%), Flemish (3%),Chilean (11 %), Peruvian (1%),Indian (20%) African (35%) and unknown (7%).
2. This variety is adapted to theSouthwest and moderately winter hardy intermountain areas ofthe U.S.. Thisvariety has been tested in Idaho, California, and Argentina. It will be usedin thesouthwest U.S. and Argentina.
3. This variety has fall dormancysimilar to FD8 checks. Flower color (syn2) is 100% purple. Fiesta has high multifoliolate leaf expression.
4. This variety has high resistanceto Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, pea aphid and spottedalfalfa aphid; resistance to anthracnose (race 1), Verticilliumwilt, blue alfalfa aphid and stemnematode and moderate resistance to bacterial wilt Reaction to Aphanomycesroot rot and rootknot nematode has notbeen tested.
5. Seed increase is on a limited generation basis with one generationof breeder and twogenerations of foundation and certified seed classes. Breeder(syn1), foundation (syn2 or 3), andcertified (syn3 or 4) classes will berecognized. Production of syn3 foundation seed, requiresconsent of the breeder.Breeder seed was produced near Nampa, Idaho, in 1995. Sufficientfoundationseed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Forage Genetics.Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to three and sixyears, respectively.
6. Certified seed will be marketedin 1998.
7. No decision has been made concerningPlant Variety Protection Act.
8. The information in this applicationmay be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety name: Fiesta
Experimental designations: FG 8G519;Arg 96-5
Date first accepted: January 1998
Date this amendment submitted: November1, 1999