1. CW64025 is a synthetic variety with 250 parent plants which were selectedsequentially formultifoliolate leaf expression and for resistance to Phytophthoraroot rot and Aphanomyces rootrot (race 1). Parent plants were selected fromcrosses between selections from 1995 breeder seedcages and from crosses betweenselections from three year old Wisconsin nurseries and electionsfrom 1995breeder seed cages. Nursery selections were made from various populationswhichwere developed by phenotypic recurrent selection for high relative feedvalue (using NearInfrared Reflectance Spectroscopy), and for resistance toone or more of the following pests:bacterial wilt, Verticillium wilt, Phytophthoraroot rot, Aphanomyces root rot (race 1),anthracnose (race 1), and Leptosphaendinaleafspot. Parentage of CW 64025 traces to thefollowing germplasm sources:WinterGold, 9429, Alliant, BigHorn, Hunter, and miscellaneousCal/West Seedsbreeding populations. Approximate germplasm source contributions are asfollows:M. falcata (8%), Ladak (6%), M. varia (27%), Turkistan (4%), Flemish (47%),andChilean (8%).
2. CW 64025 is adapted to the north central area of the U.S. and is intendedfor use in the northcentral, east central, and Great Plains areas of theU.S. CW 64025 has been tested in Wisconsinand Minnesota.
3. CW 64025 is a moderately dormant variety with fall dormancy similarto FD class 4 checkvarieties. Flower color observed in the syn2 generationis approximately 99% purple, 1%variegated, with a trace of white, cream,and yellow.
4. CW 64025 has high resistance to anthracnose (race 1), bacterial wilt,Fusarium wilt,Verticillium. wilt, Phytophthora root rot, Aphanomyces rootrot (race 1), and pea aphid, withresistance to spotted alfalfa aphid andstem nematode. Reaction to blue alfalfa aphid and rootknot nematode has notbeen adequately tested.
5. Seed increase of CW 64025 is on a limited generation basis with onegeneration of breederand two generations of the foundation and certifiedseed classes. Breeder (syn1), foundation(syn2 or 3), and certified (syn3or 4) classes will be recognized. Production of syn3 foundationseed requiresconsent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced undercage isolation nearWoodland, California, in 1996. Sufficient foundation seedfor the projected life of the varietywill be maintained by Cal/West Seeds.Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limitedto 3 and 6 years,respectively.
6. Certified seed of CW 64025 will be available in 1999.
7. No decision has been made regarding Plant Variety Protection.
8. This information can be forwarded to the, PVP office.
9. Date submitted: November 30,1999
Experimental designation: CW 64025