1. CW 54006 is a synthetic variety with 225 parent plants which were selected sequentially for multifoliolate leaf expression and for resistance to Phytophthora root rot and Aphanomyces root rot (race 1). Parent plants were selected from crosses between selections from Wisconsin clonal nurseries where clones were selected from various populations which were developed by phenotypic recurrent selection for high relative feed value (using Near Infrared Reflectance Spectroscopy), and for resistance to one or more of the following pests: bacterial wilt Verticillium wilt, Phytophthora. root rot, Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), anthracnose (race 1), and Leptosphaerulina, leafspot. Parentage of CW 54006 traces to the following germplasm sources: BigHorn, Award, DK 142, Gold Plus and miscellaneous Cal/West Seeds breeding populations. Approximate germplasm source contributions are as follows: M. falcata (8%), Ladak (6%), M. varia (25%), Turkistan (4%), Flemish (48%), and Chilean (9%).
2. CW 54006 is adapted to the north central, east central, and Great Plains areas of the U.S. and is intended for use in the north central, east central, and Great Plains areas of the U.S. CW 54006 has been tested in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Kansas, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Nebraska.
3. CW 54006 is a moderately dormant variety with fall dormancy similar to FD class 4 check varieties. Flower color observed in the syn2 generation is approximately 95% purple, 5% variegated, with a trace of white, cream, and yellow.
4. CW 54006 has high resistance to anthracnose (race 1), bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Verticillium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), spotted alfalfa aphid, pea aphid, and blue alfalfa aphid, with resistance to stem nematode. Reaction to root knot nematode has not been adequately tested.
5. Seed increase of CW 54006 is on a limited generation basis with one generation of breeder and two generations of the foundation and certified seed classes. Breeder (syn1), foundation (syn2 or syn3), and certified (syn3 or syn4) classes will be recognized. Production of syn3 foundation seed requires consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced under cage isolation near Woodland, California, in 1995. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Cal/West Seeds. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to three and six years, respectively.
6. Certified seed of CW 54006 will be available in 1999.
7. No decision has been made regarding Plant Variety Protection.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Date submitted: November 30, 1999
Experimental designation: CW 54006