1. C252 is a 90-plant synthetic variety resulting from phenotypic recurrent selection for high relative feed value and yield. Source material traces to eight elite WL experimental lines that had previously been selected for high relative feed value. Parental germplasm traces to WL 457, CUF 101, WL 514 and Cibola. Approximate germplasm source contributions are Arabian (50%), Chilean (30%), Peruvian (10%), Indian (5%), and African (5%).
2. C252 is adapted to and intended for use in the southwestern United States. C252 has been yield tested in California.
3. Flower color of C252 at syn2 approximates 100% purple with a trace of variegated. The fall dormancy of C252 is similar to CUF 101 (Class 9).
4. C252 has high resistance to Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, pea aphid, spotted alfalfa aphid and blue alfalfa aphid; resistance to stem nematode, northern root knot nematode and southern root knot nematode; and moderate resistance to bacterial wilt. Reaction to anthracnose (race 1), Verticillium wilt, and Aphanomyces root rot (race 1) has not been adequately tested.
5. Breeder seed (syn1) was produced in 1995 on 90 plants under cage isolation at Bakersfield, California. Sufficient foundation (syn2) seed will be produced for the expected life of the variety and will be maintained by W-L Research. One generation of breeder (syn1) and two generations each of foundation (syn2 or 3) and certified (syn3 or 4) seed are recognized. The maximum permitted length of stand for foundation and certified seed fields are three and five years, respectively. Production of syn3 foundation seed requires consent of the breeder.
6. Certified seed will be marketed in 1999.
7. It is undecided whether application will be made for Plant Variety Protection.
8. The information in this application can be turned over to the PVP office.
9. Experimental designation: C252
Date originally accepted: January 1999
Date this amendment submitted: November 1999