1. SMA9482 is a 62 clone synthetic variety. Parent plants were selected for two cycles for late maturity in space planted clonal nurseries. Parent plants were concurrently selected for persistence, spring vigor and forage yield along with resistance to bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt and Phytophthora root rot, Aphanomyces root rot(Race 1or2) and Verticillium wilt. Parent plants trace back to Magnum III-Wet, 5432, Magnum III, 5373, Impact, and Dairyland experimentals. Percentages of germplasm sources are:Ladak(3), M. varia(8), Turkistan(23), Flemish(32) and Unknown(34).
2. SMA9482 is adapted to the North Central region of the United States. It is intended for use in the North and Central regions of the United States. The state and province in which it has been tested are: Wisconsin and Ontario, Canada.
3. SMA9482 is moderately dormant, fall dormant 4 variety. Flower color in the Syn.2 generation is 89% purple, 11% variegated, and trace amounts of cream, white, and yellow.
4. SMA9482 has high resistance to bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt; resistance to anthracnose(Race1), Phytophthora root rot, Verticillium wilt; moderate resistance to Aphanomyces root rot(Race1). Its reaction to pea aphid, spotted alfalfa aphid, blue alfalfa aphid, northern root-knot nematode and stem nematode have not been tested.
5. Breeder seed was produced from bulking seed of parent plants hand-crossed in greenhouse near Clinton, WI to produce Syn.1 Seed in 1993. Foundation seed (Syn.2) was produced from Breeder seed and Certified seed (Syn.3) from Foundation seed. One generation each of Breeder, Foundation and Certified seed classes are recognized. A maximum of three harvest years each is permitted on stands producing Breeder and Foundation seed with five years for Certified seed. Sufficient Breeder seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Dairyland Research International.
6. Certified seed will be available spring of 2000.
7. Application for Plant Variety Protection is anticipated.
8. Information in the NAVRB application can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety name: ____________ Date submitted: 11/25/98
Experimental designation: SMA9482 __________________________