1.Select is a synthetic variety with 120 parent plants. Plants were selected for multifoliolate expression and resistance to one or more of the following pests: stem nematode, root knot nematode, Verticillium wilt and Phytophthora root rot. Germplasm sources used in developing Select were Leafmaster (25%), Stamina (25%), DK 140 (12.5%), Millennium (12.5%), Dividend (12.5%), and Acheiva (12.5%). Breeder seed (Syn 1) was produced near Nampa, Idaho in 1995. Seed was harvested in total on all parents and bulked to form breeder seed. Approximate germplasm source contributions are: M.falcata (3%), Ladak (7%), M.varia (28%), Turkistan (5%), Flemish (55%) and Chilean (2%).
2. This variety is adapted to the Winterhardy Intermountain United States. This variety has been tested in Idaho and Oregon. It will be used in the Winterhardy Intermountain United States.
3. This variety has fall dormancy similar to FD4 checks and winter survival similar to WS3 checks. Flower color (Syn2) is 89% purple, 7% variegated, 2% white, 2% yellow, with a trace of cream. Select has high multifoliolate leaf expression.
4. This variety has high resistance to bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, anthracnose (Race 1), Phytophthora root rot and stem nematode; resistance to Verticillium wilt, Aphanomyces root rot (Race1), spotted alfalfa aphid, pea aphid and northern root knot nematode, and moderate resistance to blue alfalfa aphid.
5. Seed increase is on a limited generation basis with one generation of breeder and two generations of foundation and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn 1), foundation (Syn 2 or Syn 3), and certified (Syn 3 or Syn 4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn 3 foundation seed requires consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced near Nampa, Idaho in 1995. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Forage Genetics. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 5 years, respectively.
6. Certified seed will be marketed in 1998.
7. No decision has been made concerning Plant Variety Protection Act.
8. The information in this application may not be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: Select Date Submitted 11/1/98
Experimental designations: FG 3G107