1. The selection criteria used in the development of Standout included vigor, freedom from crown and root rots, resistance to Aphanomyces (Race 1), Phytophthora root rot and anthracnose (Race 1).
2. Standout is adapted and intended for use in the North and East Central United States. It has been tested in New York, Michigan, Nebraska, and Minnesota.
3. Standout is dormant, similar to FD 3 check. Flower color in the Syn 2 is about 55% puple and 45% variegated with traces of cream, white or yellow.
4. Standout has resistance to bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt; Phytophthora root rot, anthracnose (race 1) and pea aphid; moderate resistance to Aphanomyces (Race 1)and Verticillium wilt. Reaction to stem nematode, spotted alfalfa aphid, blue alfalfa aphid and root knot nematode has not been determined.
5. Sufficient breeder seed was produced in 1994 and is being maintained by GreenGenes, Inc. to last the projected life of the variety. One generation each of breeders(Syn 2), foundation (Syn 3), and two generations on all certified (Syn 3 or Syn 4) is recognized. Foundation seed production will be permitted in Nevada, Oregon, or Idaho with no restriction on the area of production of certified seed. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years respectively.
6. Certified seed will be available in 2000.
7. Plant variety protection will not be applied for.
8. Information in the NAVRB application can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: Standout Date submitted: November 22, 1999
Experimental designations: 4315