1. Racer is a synthetic variety with 30 parent clones. Parent clones were selected for seed yield, multifoliolate expression and resistance to one or more of the following pests: anthracnose, Fusarium wilt, Verticillium wilt and Phytophthora root rot. Germplasm sources used in developing Racer were Tahoe (30%), Parade (30%), FG 6392 (25%) and FG 6395 (15%). Breeder seed (Syn I) was produced near Nampa, Idaho in 1993. Seed was harvested in total on all parents and bulked to form breeder seed. Approximate germplasm source contributions are: M. falcata (1%), Ladak (12%), M. varia (4%), Turkistan (21%), Flemish (10%), Chilean (14%), Peruvian (1%), Indian (1 6%), African (1 8%) and unknown (3%).
2. This variety is adapted to Moderately Winterhardy Intermountain and Winterhardy Intermountain areas of the U. S. . This variety has been tested in Idaho and California. It will be used in moderate winterhardy regions of the Intermountain Western U. S.
3. This variety has fall' dormancy similar to FD6 checks. Flower color (Syn2) is 100% purple. Racer has high multifoliolate leaf expression.
4. This variety has high resistance to Fusarium wilt, Verticillium wilt, anthracnose (Race I), Phytophthora root rot, pea aphid, spotted alfalfa aphid and blue alfalfa aphid; and resistance to bacterial wilt, stem nematode and root knot nematode (M. hapla). Reaction to Aphanomyces root rot has not been tested.
S. Seed increase is on a limited generation basis with one generation of breeder and two generations of foundation and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn I), foundation (Syn 2 or Syn 3), and certified (Syn 3 or Syn 4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn 3 foundation seed requires consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced near Nampa, Idaho in 1993. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Forage Generics. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
6. Certified seed will be marketed in 1998.
7. No decision has been made concerning Plant Variety Protection Act.
8. The information in this application may be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: Racer Date Submitted 11/1/97
Experimental designations: FG5T95