1. Jade II is a 16 clone synthetic variety. Parent clones were selected out of forage yield plots and/or disease nurseries. These parent plants were progeny tested for one or more of the following traits: forage yield, stand persistence, forage quality, resistance to bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, anthracnose (Race l), Verticillium wilt, Aphanomyces root rot (Race l), and spotted alfalfa aphid. Parent plants trace back to Jade, Apollo Supreme, Answer, WL312, Teweles Multistrain, and Dairyland Experimentals which trace back to Vernal, Ranger and Iroquois. Percentage of germplasm sources are: M. varia (15), Turkistan (25), Flemish (35) and Chilean (25).
2. Jade II is adapted to the North Central and Great Plains regions of the United States. It is intended for use in the Central and Northern half of the United States. The states in which it has been tested are: Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas.
3. Jade II is similar to Saranac in fall; dormancy. It expresses high forage quality similar to - the high forage quality check variety. Flower color in the Syn.2 generation is 89% purple, 11% variegated, and trace amounts of cream, white, and yellow.
4. Jade II has high resistance to Phytophthora root rot, bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, resistance to anthracnose (Race l), Verticillium wilt, pea aphid, spotted alfalfa aphid, stem nematode; moderate resistance to Aphanomyces root rot (Race l), blue alfalfa aphid, and northern root-knot nematode (M. hapla).
5. Breeder seed was produced from cuttings of the parent plants planted in cage isolation to produce Syn.1 at Sloughhouse, CA in 1990 92. Seed was bulked in equal proportions each year and lots were kept separate. E:oundation seed (Syn.2) was produced from Breeder seed and Certified seed (Syn.2 or 3) from either Breeder or Foundation seed. One generation each of Breeder and Foundation, and two generations of Certified seed classes are recognized. A maximum of three years each is permitted on stands producing Breeder and Foundation seed with five years for Certified seed. Dairyland Research will maintain sufficient Breeder seed for the projected life of the variety.
6. Certified seed will be available spring of 1996.
7. Application for Plant Variety Protection is anticipated.
8. Information in the NAVRB application can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety name: Jade II
Experimental designations: BPR369
Date NA and MLVRB first accepted this variety November, 1995
Date this amendment was submitted November 28, 2000