1. Impact is a 73-clone synthetic variety. Parental clones were selected, following 3 or 4 cycles of field screening for resistance to Verticillium wilt, from populations which had previously been selected for winter survival plus resistance to Phytophthora root rot, anthracnose, bacterial wilt and Fusarium wilt. Parentage traces predominantly (in order of contribution) to Endure, Apollo II, Apollo, Anchor, WL 318, Atlas and Olympic.
2. Impact is intended for use in the Northern region of the U.S. for hay, haylage, greenchop or dehy production. It has been tested in Iowa, Illinois, Idaho and Wisconsin.
3. Fall dormancy is similar to Ranger. Flower color of foundation generation is approximately 72% purple and 28% variegated.
4. Impact has high resistance to bacterial wilt and Fusarium wilt; resistance to Phytophthora root rot, Verticillium wilt and pea aphid; and moderate resistance to anthracnose (race 1), leafhopper yellowing and stem nematode. Reaction to spotted alfalfa aphid and blue alfalfa aphid has not been determined.
5. Breeder (Syn 1) seed was produced on cuttings at Nampa, Idaho, bulked over two years and is held in cold storage. Seed increase is limited to one generation each of breeder, foundation and certified classes. Certified seed may be produced from either breeder or foundation classes. A 3 and 6-year stand life is permitted on fields producing foundation and certified seed, respectively. Foundation seed production is limited to the northern region of adaptation.
6. Certified seed will be available in 1986.
7. Plant Variety Protection will not be applied for.
8. This information may be forwarded to the PVP office.