1. Harvestar 812HY is a 12 clone synthetic. Parent clones were selected out of forage yield plots and/or disease nurseries. These parent plants were progeny tested for one or more of the following traits: forage yield, stand persistence, forage quality, resistance to bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, anthracnose (Race 1), Verticillium wilt and Aphanomyces root rot (Race 1). The percent of germplasm sources are: Ladak (10), M. varia (l8), Turkistan (16), Flemish (35), Chilean (10) and Unknown (ll).
2. Harvestar 812HY is adapted to the North Central, Great Plains and East Central Region of the United States and intended for use in the Northern half of the United States. The states where it has been tested are Minnesota, Iowa, Pennsylvania, Nebraska and Wisconsin.
3. Harvestar 812HY is a moderate dormant variety similar to the fall dormancy 4 check. Flower color in the Syn. 2 generation is 92% purple, 8% variegated with trace amounts of cream, white and yellow.
4. Harvestar 812HY has high resistance to bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot; resistance to Aphanomyces root rot (Race l), stem nematode, Verticillium wilt, anthracnose (Race 1), pea aphid, spotted alfalfa aphid, blue alfalfa aphid and nor~em root-knot nematode.
5. Breeder seed (Syn. 1) was produced by bulking seed of parent plants which were grown in field isolation near Sloughhouse, CA in 1992-93. Seed from parental clones were equally bulked and seed lots from each year were kept separate. Foundation seed (Syn.2) was produced from Breeder seed and Certified seed (Syn. 2Or3) from either Breeder or Foundation seed. One generation each of Breeder, Foundation and two generations of Certified seed classes -are recognized. A maximum of three harvest years each is permitted on stands producing Breeder and Foundation seed with five years for Certified seed. Dairyland Research International will maintain sufficient Breeder seed for the projected life of the variety.
6. Certified Seed will be available fall of 2000.
7. Application for the Plant Variety Protection is undecided.
8. Information in the NAVRB application can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety narne: Harvestar 812HY Date Submitted November 28,2000
Experimental designations: DS9501