1. FG 6L402 is a synthetic variety with I S4 parent plants. Parent plants were selected for resistance to one or more of the following pest: Phytophthora root rot, Verticillium wilt, anthracnose (Race I), blue alfalfa aphid, pea aphid and spotted alfalfa aphid. The germplasm source used in developing FG 6IA02 was Tahoe (100%). Breeder seed (Syn 1) was produced near Nampa, Idaho in 1994. Seed was harvested in total on all parents and bulked to form breeder seed. Approximate germplasm source contributions are: M. falcata (1%), Ladak (12%), M. varia (8%), Turkistan (25%), Flemish (11%), Chilean (9%), Peruvian (1%), Indian (1 0%), African (1 0%) and unknown (1 3%). This variety is adapted to Moderately Winterhardy Intermountain and Southwest areas of the U. S.
2. This variety has been tested in Idaho and California. It will be used in the southwest and high desert west.
3. This variety has fall dormancy similar to FD6 checks. Flower color (Syn2) is 98% purple and 2% variegated with a trace of white, yellow and cream.
4. This variety has high resistance to anthracnose (Race I,) Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, pea aphid, spotted alfalfa aphid and root knot nematode (M. hapla); resistance to Verticillium wilt, stem nematode and blue alfalfa aphid; and moderate resistance to bacterial wilt. Reaction to Aphanomyces root rot has not been tested.
5. Seed increase is on a limited generation basis with one generation of breeder and two generations of foundation and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn I), foundation (Syn 2 or Syn 3), and certified (Syn 3 or Syn 4) classes will be recognized Production of Syn 3 foundation seed requires consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced near Nampa, Idaho in 1994. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Forage Genetics. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
6. Certified seed will be marketed in 1998.
7. No decision has been made concerning Plant Variety Protection Act
8. The information in this application may be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: Date Submitted 11/1/97
Experimental designations:FG 6L402