1. FG 3B6l is a synthetic variety with 100 parent plants. Parent plants were selected for multifoliolate expression and resistance to one or more the following pests: stem nematode, Verticillium wilt, Phytophthora root rot and anthracnose. Germplasm sources used in developing FG 3B6l were Dividend (25%), LegenDairy (25%), Excalibur 11(25%) and Prism 2 (25%). Breeder seed (Syn 1) was produced in Nampa, Idaho in 1992. Seed was harvested in total on all parents and bulked to form breeder seed. Approximate germplasm source contributions are: M.falcata (4%), Ladak (5%), M.varia (26%), Turkistan (4%), Flemish (58%) and Chilean (3%).
2. This variety is adapted to the Winterhardy Intermountain U. S. This variety has been tested in Idaho and Washington. It will be used in the Intermountain U. S.
3. This variety has fall dormancy similar to FD3. Flower color (SYN2) is 82% purple, 18% variegated with a trace of yellow, white and cream. FG 3B6 I has high multifoliolate leaf expression.
4. This variety has high resistance to bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, anthracnose (Race I), Phytophthora root rot, spotted alfalfa aphid and stem nematode; and resistance to Verticillium wilt, pea aphid and root knot nematode (M. hapla). Reaction to blue alfalfa aphid and Aphanomyces root rot has not been tested.
5. Seed increase is on a limited generation basis with one generation of breeder and two generations of foundation and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn 1), foundation (Syn 2 or Syn 3), and certified (Syn 3 or Syn 4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn 3 foundation seed requires consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced near Nampa, Idaho in 1992. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Forage Genetics. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
6. Certified seed will be marketed in 1998.
7. No decision has been made concerning Plant Variety Protection Act
8. The information in this application may be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: Date Submitted 11/1/97