1. 512 is a synthetic variety with 180 parent plants which were selected sequentially for multifoliolate leaf expression and for resistance to Phytophthora root rot and Aphanomyces root rot (race 1). Parent plants were selected from a polycross among late fall dormant selections from three year old Pennsylvania yield trials. Parentage of 512 traces to the following germplasm sources: DK 133, Bolt ML, Benchmark, Class, and miscellaneous breeding lines. Approximate germplasm source contributions are as follows: M.falcata (7%), Ladak (6%), M.varia (24%), Turkistan (4%), Flemish (48%), and Chilean (11%).
2. 512 is adapted to the North Central U.S. and is intended for use in the northern and central U.S.. 512 has been tested in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa.
3. 512 is a moderately dormant variety with fall dormancy similar to DuPuits. Flower color observed in the Syn.2 generation is approximately 99% purple, 1% variegated, and a trace of cream, white, and yellow. 512 has multifoliolate leaf expression similar to Multiking I.
4. 512 has high resistance to bacterial wilt, Fusarium wilt, Phytophthora root rot, anthracnose (race 1), and blue alfalfa aphid with resistance to Verticillium wilt, Aphanomyces root rot (race 1), stem nematode, pea aphid, and spotted alfalfa aphid. Reaction to root knot nematode has not been adequately tested.
5. Seed increase of 512 is on a limited generation basis with one generation of breeder and two generations of the foundation and certified seed classes. Breeder (Syn.1), foundation (Syn.2 or Syn.3), and certified (Syn.3 or Syn.4) classes will be recognized. Production of Syn.3 foundation seed requires consent of the breeder. Breeder seed was produced under cage isolation at Woodland, California in 1993. Sufficient foundation seed for the projected life of the variety will be maintained by Cal/West Seeds. Stands of foundation and certified seed fields are limited to 3 and 6 years, respectively.
6. Certified seed of 512 will be available in 1996.
7. No decision has been made regarding Plant Variety Protection.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: 512.
Experimental Designation: CW 3512.
Date NA&MLVRB first accepted this variety: January 1996.
Date previous amendments were accepted:
Date this amendment submitted: December 1, 1998.