NAAIC Regulatory Issues Committee Report
Monday, August 3, 1998
Chair Mike Peterson called the meeting to order at 6 p.m.
Seven committee members plus Ron Larson (Montana State Seed Certification) were present.
Three primary topics were discussed:
- PVP office does not currently recognize all NAAIC standard tests
- We will open a new dialogue with the PVP office to attempt to rationalize the two systems.
- Regulatory Issues Committee recommended that the President of the NAAIC draft a letter to the PVP office to implement.
- At the 1996 Oklahoma City NAAIC, concern was expressed with the complexity of the APHIS/USDA requirements for obtaining notification and field release clearance for transgenic alfalfa. Since then, APHIS has signifcantly relaxed notification requirements for transportation and field testing of transgenic alfalfa.
- Transgene dissemination in commercial alfalfa production fields.
- Is zero tolerance feasible or even possible?
- Current AOSCA alfalfa seed certification isolation standards are inadequate.
- Will open a dialogue with AOSCA, investigate standards in other transgenic crops.
- Incoming Chair Mark McCaslin will work with committee members to draft a position paper on this issue for presentation to general NAAIC membership.
Mike Peterson (Chair) Jim Moutray
Ted Bingham Jon Reich
Steve Bowley Dan Skinner
John Caddel Ray Smith
Francois Loiselle Larry Teuber
Mark McCaslin Don Viands